Thursday, January 26, 2012

What plants can I put into a terrarium for my crested gecko?

I'm receiving a crested Gecko soon and would like to know if there are live plants I can put in their terrarium.

What plants can I put into a terrarium for my crested gecko?
I do not reccomend using live plants because you will be cleaning the geckeo's vivarium quite often and if you do choose to use live plants then make sure they are in the pot they came in for easy removal and for a cleaner environment, although they will seem more natural, the plastic ones often allow for more moisture to exist because of their materials and the fact than they wont soak it up.



Plants that can be used in the crested geckos housing include any species of ficus, pothos, or philodendron, to name just a few. Cork bark and bamboo sections provide excellent climbing surfaces. Use your imagination and be creative, that is the key to enjoying a naturalistic vivarium.



Here are some more in-depth guides:

http://www.petuniversity.com/reptiles/li...

http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm
Reply:In my crested gecko's cage I have a large branch and a fake plant that hangs off the glass. You need lots of places where he/she will be able to climb otherwise they get something people call 'floppy tail syndrome' because they start hanging upside down on the glass. You will need to clean that cage for gecko poo every other day (wet cloth on the plants and glass).



Another thing is make sure you have a small cave, for when they shed they usually use small hidden places. DO NOT USE SAND AS A SURFACE FOR THEM TO LIVE ON!



-hope it helped!-


  • smokey eye
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment