Monday, February 13, 2012

What exactly are moss? Do the surrounding plants get any benefit from it?

I have little bamboo plants in small glass vases that grow in plain water but after a while, I notice some moss surrounding its roots. It is unpleasant to look at so I regularly rinse them off. Should I leave them alone? Does it benefit the plant in any way?

What exactly are moss? Do the surrounding plants get any benefit from it?
Moss is a common name for bryophytes, a division of plants in the plant kingdom. They are non-vascular and reproduce by spores. I also have bamboo plants and I usually do the same as you and just rinse it away. Some moss is good and some isn't, most lichens and fungi are sometimes confused with moss and there are many plants with the name moss that are actually not moss at all. I am sure that your plants will be fine, that is just a lot of information to try to explain right now.
Reply:I would get a high pressurer washer to wash away those unsightly bamboo.


No comments:

Post a Comment