Sunday, January 22, 2012

What are some fast growing plants for an aquarium?

What are some fast growing plants for an aquarium?

I am currently on the hunt for some good plants for a 10 gallon tank. I am trying to convert my 10 gallon tank from fake plants to live planted tank. Do you guys know any fast growing plants that I can substitute for my fake plants?





I currently have 1 Amazon Sword Plant and 1 Cabomba Plant

What are some fast growing plants for an aquarium?
I grow all live plants with cichlids in a 55 gal... first, I researched which type of plants liked hard water (high pH).. because I live in an area with very hard water and am not going to mess with reverse osmosis or buying water... then, I took some bagged potting soil (Miracle Gro bagged soil) and soaked it in water for about 1 week.... I strained off what ever was floating and added all the settled stuff to my tank along with the gravel... it will take a day to settle once it is added to the aquarium... and I use a 2 bank florecent shop light on top of my tank for good lighting....also, my aquarium stand is open underneath, which means cold drafts to the bottom of my tank, the gravel area... instead of buying the expensive gravel heaters, I just secured a heating pad to the bottom of my tank.. now I have the warm currents that are required... so... 1. find out if your water is acidic, basic, or alkaline 2. in a ten gal. tank your lighting will be low if you are using a florecent light top... you can increase your lighting by placing your tank near a sunny window... incadecent lighting does not count as plant lights 3. research aquarium plants... find the ones that fit your water , lighting, and mature size conditions 4. do add the soil, helps plants imensely 5. if your stand is an opened bottom one, secure a heating pad under it 6. don't waste money on aquarium plant fertilizers.. just get a good variety of creatures in your tank... snails, algae eaters, fish... make sure you have something that makes it's home in all levels of the aquarium (bottom, mid, top) you're trying to get a healthy, balanced eco-system.. 6. instead of using the clay substrate that you will read about while researching aquarium plants, use broken pieces of clay pots in with your gravel... I really don't think the clay makes a difference either way
Reply:Just as a warning, in my experience, live aquarium plants are difficult to care for. They may also harbor parasites and diseases that can kill your fish. You're better off with plastic plants, unless it's a salt-water aquarium, in which case, it's almost incomplete unless it has live plants (I can't help with salt-water tanks).

Hiking Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment